Each year, in accordance with the will of Lewis Downing, a committee of our church receives approximately $8,000 to $18,000 from the Lewis Downing Trust. Only $2000 of this money can go to our church to use as we see fit. The remainder of the money is awarded to
- minister(s) at large to conduct sermons preaching “liberal Christianity” to “strengthen the societies of the Unitarian faith in New Hampshire” and
- congregational projects such as special programs, guest preachers, advertising campaigns, or capital projects relating to accessibility, to make a church more effective for its members and the community.
Applying for a Grant
Please submit a packet that includes the following:
- A resume of your education and experience
- A sample sermon
- A description of how you intend to use the grant that addresses the following:
- Who is your proposed audience
- How often will you preach
- Where will you minister, and how will you arrange this
- A summary of your message
- Time period – the grant allows for flexibility
All proposals shall be made in writing and be signed by three members of the official board of the society. Proposals must include:
- Adequate description of the project, venture or program for which grant aid
will be used.
- An estimate of the full cost of the project.
- Most recent report of the Treasurer of the society.
- Amount requested from the Downing Trust for the next fiscal year of the
- The society’s plan for raising money for the project.
Submit your proposal no later than April 1 to
Unitarian Universalist Church
274 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
The grant will be awarded and applicants will be notified by April 30. The recipient must submit an activity report no later than March 1 next year.
For more information about the Downing Trust Grants for Churches see: Lewis Downing Trust Procedures (PDF).