Certified Green Sanctuary
Green Sanctuaries is a national Unitarian Universalist program with the goal of developing “a new mythology for a sustainable culture.” Our church participates in this program and became a certified Green Sanctuary in January 2009.
As part of the certification process we completed a comprehensive environmental audit of the church and engaged in many environmental activities from worship to eco-justice, including
- connecting our youth with nature
- leading earth-oriented worship services
- reducing the church’s energy consumption and waste generation
- leading eco-adult education classes
- encouraging local food production
- marching for climate action and
- generally having fun while “respecting the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part” (the 7th UU principle).
In March 2013, we completed a “green overhaul” of our building, in which we upgraded the heating system, installed insulation, and replaced all the single-pane windows in the building.
In May, 2017, we turned on our solar array, right on the front lawn of the church.